504 Support

Note: Not sure what a 504 is? Go here.

frustrated girl at desk 600 x 900.png

If your child has a disability, whether it is a short-term (e.g.,fractured leg) or long-term (e.g.,dyslexia) disability, under the 504, the school must ensure that your child gets the supports "designed to meet the student's individual educational needs as adequately as the needs of nondisabled students are met." Here is a short list of disabilities that may be handled under the 504:

  • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
  • Asthma
  • Food allergies
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder

If you are having difficulties with

  • Getting your child on a 504
  • Communicating your child's needs to the school
  • Agreeing on the accommodations that your child needs

Learning Differences World is here to help. Roxanne will sit with you and determine the best way to work with the school and even attend meetings with you. Schedule a free consult to see how we can work together to get the your child's needs met. 


504 Explained

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance, in the case of schools, this is the Federal Department of Education. 

A person (including a student) with a disability is one who meets any of the following criteria:

  • has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
  • has a record of such an impairment; or
  • is regarded as having such an impairment.

2008 Amendment

In 2008, the disability law was updated and the definition of a disability was broadened. The following additions were made to the law.

  • An impairment that substantially limits any major life activity, not just a major life activity related to learning or school, would be considered a disability under Section 504.
  • Mitigating measures (e.g., medications, coping strategies, etc.) shall not be considered in determining whether an individual has a disability.

For more information:

504 and IEP – What’s the Difference?

U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Students with ADHD and Section 504: A Resource Guide (July 2016). https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201607-504-adhd.pdf